I was going to blog about our family photos we had taken a few weeks ago this morning, and share a little glimpse in to our home and family life with a newborn. But something else is weighing on my heart today, and I cannot contain my urge to share.
I am feeling so infuriated with our world today. I cannot believe that yet again, we are dealing with an attack on our own, at a school, which by its nature, encourages coexistence. I am literally flabbergasted that we yet again, are praying for families that are suffering, hoping that their loved ones are not one of those in the surrounding hospitals.
We live in a FREE country, one that we should feel PRIVILEGED to live in. Why, I ask, are some Americans feeling the urge to take advantage of that? I don’t really care what you’re upset about – the election, alleged racism or a woman’s right to choose, among an unending list of other topics that may or may not cause an uproar at your Thanksgiving table. There is no excuse for hate.
I have so many questions for so many people that I have been afraid to ask, mostly in an effort to stay out of a dramatic conversation, or to avoid being judged. But I cannot stay silent. I will not stay silent any longer.
- If Love trumps hate, why are so many so quick to spew hate at people they don’t even know that voted for Trump?
- Why are people calling other people racists? Isn’t that in itself a form of racism? Judging other people by the color of their skin? Accusing them of racism, because they are not of color… isn’t that just as racist as the other way around?
- What made our founders so wise? What makes what they wrote in the Constitution valid for today’s world? They were not God, they could not have humanly predicted this world we live in now, and they aren’t any wiser than any of our current leaders. So why are we treating what they said as sacred as the Bible?
- Why do men think they can predict how women feel, and how in the hell can a woman predict how a man feels? Men should respect women, yes. But women should also respect men. Why is “feminism” turning into a “rise against the men” movement? Why can’t we rise together?
- Why are we still even talking about LBGTQ rights? My god, they are humans and they live in America. They have the same rights as anyone else. Why is this conversation still even happening? I cannot believe we are still so divided on this. It makes me so sad.
- Can we please stop using the term, “Bible Thumper?” Please. It’s offensive.
- Finally, can parents please teach their children that being mean to other children is not ok? Among many other things, it’s terrible that bullying is still happening, nevermind actually getting worse. Can we please teach our children to be kind? We lead by example, mind you. Be kind, teach kind.
These are my questions. These are the things I pray about. These are the issues I struggle with. These are the problems I hope my son will not have to face… I want to be able to be a part of a bigger change. A movement to find answers to these questions, so that the next generation does not have to ask them. So that the next generation can spend their time, their emotional energy, and their talents, on something more productive, like raising the next generation of good humans.
Let me say this again: the story of your life is the story of the long and brutal assault on your heart by the one who knows what you could be and fears it. I hope you are beginning to see that more clearly now. Otherwise, much of the Bible will not make sense to you. Much of your life will not make sense to you.
I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name. (Isa. 45:2-3)
Doesn't the language of the Bible sometimes sound ... overblown? Really now—God is going to level mountains for us? We'd be happy if he just helped us get through the week. What's all that about breaking down gates of bronze and cutting through bars of iron? I mean, it sounds heroic, but, well, who's really in need of that? This isn't ancient Samaria. We'd settle for a parking place at the mall.
If we are in an epic battle, then the language of the Bible fits perfectly. Things are not what they seem. We are at war. That war is against your heart, your glory. Once more, look at Isaiah 61:1:
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners.